General Clapper is upset about the recent revelations by Edward Snowden of Booz, Allen and Hamilton, that the NSA collects phone and internet data on all Americans, because he lied to Congress and said that they didn’t.
Wyden: “And this is for you, Director Clapper, again on the surveillance front. And I hope we can do this in just a yes or no answer, because I know Sen. Feinstein wants to move on.
“Last summer the NSA director was at a conference and he was asked a question about the NSA surveillance of Americans. He replied, and I quote here, ‘… the story that we have millions or hundreds of millions of dossiers on people is completely false.’
“The reason I’m asking the question is, having served on the committee now for a dozen years, I don’t really know what a dossier is in this context. So what I wanted to see is if you could give me a yes or no answer to the question: Does the NSA collect any type of data at all on millions or hundreds of millions of Americans?”
Clapper: “No, sir.”
Wyden: “It does not.”
Clapper: “Not wittingly. There are cases where they could inadvertently perhaps collect, but not wittingly.”
Wyden: “All right. Thank you. I’ll have additional questions to give you in writing on that point, but I thank you for the answer.”
- Does This Video Show The Director Of National Intelligence Lying To Congress? (businessinsider.com)
- Director of National Intelligence James Clapper caught lying on NSA..Assange praises “Hero” Edward Snowden (seeker401.wordpress.com)
- Intelligence chief Clapper: I gave least untruthful” answer on U.S. spying (politics.kfyi.com)
- Intelligence chief Clapper: I gave least untruthful” answer on U.S. spying (schnittshow.com)
- US lawmakers urge disclosure as Obama ‘welcomes’ debate over NSA surveillance (guardian.co.uk)