On April 25th, a judge in North Carolina used Alaina’s cancer as a key reason to transfer custody of her 5-year-old son and 11-year-old daughter to her ex-husband (a man Alaina describes as “abusive” and who lives more than 700 miles away).
This is happening even though Alaina says her kids “know that I have cancer, they know that I go for treatment once a month now, they know that it’s stable. They know me as mom, and it doesn’t affect our daily life.”
She has just two weeks to appeal, and her hope is that a huge outcry from the public and local elected officials can help reverse the decision.
Thankfully, that outcry is growing quickly. A petition started by Alaina’s sister Lauren has more than 7,000 signatures, Alaina was interviewed on Good Morning America and the Today Show, and media throughout North Carolina and the U.S. are now covering the injustice.
But time is short, and the wrong outcome here sets a dangerous precedent for mothers and fathers with cancer or other serious diseases. Please sign Lauren’s petition asking that Alaina Giordano’s breast cancer not be used as a reason to take away her kids:
- Mom loses custody because of breast cancer (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- Alaina Giordano’s Battles: Cancer, Child Custody and Court Precedents (blogher.com)
- rowlikeagirl: A North Carolina Mom With Stage 4 Breast Cancer Loses Custody of Her Children (healthland.time.com)
- “Mom Loses Custody Of Her Two Kids Because She Has Breast Cancer” and related posts (bloggernews.net)
- Should a Mother Lose Custody of Her Kids Because She Has Cancer? (healthland.time.com)
- Woman Loses Custody of Children Due to Cancer (healthland.time.com)
- Emily Cousins: Young Mother Loses Custody of Children Because of Breast Cancer; Who’s Next? (huffingtonpost.com)
- Mom With Breast Cancer Loses Custody (abcnews.go.com)
- Mother loses custody of her children – because she has breast cancer (alisonsgypt.wordpress.com)
- Mom Loses Custody Due to Cancer (drudge.com)
- Fight CPS