Health & Equality Minister of Spain, Leire Pajín, announced today her intention to suggest a change in the law at tomorrow’s Council of Ministers meeting, which would give judges the power to stop abusive partners from having custody of their children.
“We cannot allow those who are violent or who kill to have custody of their children”, she stressed.
With the US routinely granting custody to 58,000 abusive parents per year, and also being the only country in the world to fail to ratify the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, this gives foreign parents one more reason to pause before bringing their children to the US, a good reason for caring parents in the US to consider living elsewhere, and fuels the fires for the upcoming tourist boycott of the US in 2011 to press the US to join the rest of the world by ratifying the CRC.
- Dianne Post: Failures of U.S. Courts Forces Mothers to Turn to International Law (huffingtonpost.com)
- State’s views sought on extending beggary ban (thehindu.com)
- Michelle Chen: White House Says Child Soldiers Are Okay, if They Fight Terrorists (huffingtonpost.com)
- Did Father Lose Custody of Children Because of his Agnosticism? (friendlyatheist.com)
- Spain Calls for Abusers to Lose Custody of Children (newkingwords.wordpress.com)
- Linda Sacks Landmark Petition for Certiororari to Florida Supreme Court (newkingwords.wordpress.com)
- Rights of abusive parents to be curbed (search.japantimes.co.jp)
- Washington DC March to Protect Children – Safe Child Coalition (newkingwords.wordpress.com)
- European and Canadian Tourists Set to Boycott US in 2011 to Protest US Failure to Protect Foreign Children Within Its Borders (newkingwords.wordpress.com)